Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Playing Catch-Up

As I've said on my personal blog, I took a few days off from blogging to celebrate Mike and I's anniversary, so now I have a slew of pictures to show you! First off, the special dinner I made for our anniversary:


The steaks were thick ribeyes that I got at Publix for $6.99 a pound. They originally had porterhouses and t-bones on sale at that price, but the selection was picked over, so the butcher gave me these amazing-looking steaks for the same price. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I love Publix. They were EXCELLENT! I'm salivating right now just thinking about how good they were. Mike also requested mashed potatoes and cheesy broccoli, so we had that along with strawberry daiquiris:


And then...the motherlode!! I've been wanting to try my hand at recreating Ruby Tuesday's Chocolate Tallcake, because I think it's one of the best desserts out there. I'm the type of person who typically prefers the creativity and freshness of locally-owned places, but Ruby's got this dessert right. I looked online for a copykat recipe to no avail, so I had to combine several different recipes: one for an oreo-embedded chocolate cake from a mix, one for buttercream icing which I combined with crushed oreos for the filling, and one for chocolate mousse for the icing.


This was a very involved process, but holy cow, just look at it!! It was sooooooo good. I noticed that this cake seemed to taste even better after sitting in the fridge for a day. Paired with a tall glass of milk, eaten while floating in my pool....yes please!

Now let's all wipe the droll off our faces so I can show you tonight's dinner. I used the rest of the steak from our anniversary dinner to make steak fajitas. They were sauteed with green peppers, onions, and...zucchini? Yes, that's right. I don't care much for onions or green peppers, so I decided to throw some zucchini to sautée for the last few minutes and try that in my fajita, and I must say I enjoyed the extra serving of vegetables. Even Mike enjoyed some zukes in his fajita! I was careful to take out some of the squishy, seedy stuff out of the middle, much like you core an apple, and I think that helped.



No comments: