Monday, May 19, 2008

Mother's Day Desserts

I was in charge of making desserts for our family gathering to celebrate Mother's Day and my father's birthday, which was two days after. I won't tell you how many candles were on dad's cake...because I forgot to bring candles :) But it was a big one (50 times as big as the last one, ahem), and so I made not one, but two desserts: the incredibly easy Oreo Cookie Cake and the equally easy Chocolate-Covered Strawberries.

This is the first layer of the Oreo Cookie Cake, which I had to trim a little so the rest of the cake wouldn't be crooked:
The actual cake part is just a Devil's Food Cake mix, but paired with the cream cheese filling and chocolate glaze, it makes it delicious.
I love how the filling is so thick but stands up to the top layer.

A hint if you decide to make this cake, which I highly recommend that you do: use a serrated knife to cut the cake. You have to lightly saw through the chocolate layer a little. This cake is gooooooood with a frosty glass of milk!

I did half of the strawberries in milk chocolate and half of them in semi-sweet.
Chocolate-covered strawberries are so simple, yet so good! My dad would agree :)

No comments: