Monday, May 07, 2007

Homemade Chicken Soup

We're getting down to the wire with the move, so I'm using up as much food in the freezer as possible. Tonight I used some chicken broth I had cooked down previously and frozen, a bone-in, skinless chicken breast, and some frozen veggies. The chicken went into the crock pot this morning to cook, and this afternoon I pulled the meat from the bone and put it back in the crock pot with the broth and some chopped carrots, celery, and green onions. I was going to cook some instant brown rice on the stovetop to add to the soup, but then I got really lazy and just threw the uncooked rice in the crockpot. The vegetables were broccoli and cauliflower, and they came with an herb-lemon sauce to add after cooking. We also finished off some herb-yeast rolls from the fresh market.

The verdict
I was afraid that the rice wouldn't turn out right because I didn't cook it properly, but it was fine. Today's weather was a little cooler than what we've been getting (mid-70's), so I'm glad I chose to make a soup today. We had a good meal and I used up lots of food from the freezer! I give this meal 4 out of 5 stars for taste and health.

No comments: