Thursday, May 24, 2007

Pork Chops with Twice-Baked Potato Casserole and Chopped Spinach Salad



Yesterday I pulled some pork chops out of the freezer, and planned on making a special browned butter sauce to go with it, but my spices are STILL missing, so tonight they went on the grill after marinating in some olive oil and Asian Grilling Spice. Meanwhile, some potatoes had gone in the oven to bake for some twice-baked potatoes, and I decided to try my hand at a chopped spinach salad with shredded carrots, some lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper. I meant to chop up an apple for the salad, but that didn't work. Speaking of not working, neither did the potatoes. I tried to scoop out the insides of the potatoes, and the skins completely fell apart. I thought the dish was ruined, but Mike suggested placing the skin pieces in the bottom of a casserole dish and spreading the potato mixture on top, then placing the whole thing in the oven. Also notice my new placemats and coasters, bought for cheap at Wal-Mart :)

The verdict

I'm not usually a huge fan of pork chops, which is why I originally planned on having the sauce to pair with it, but since they were marinated since yesterday, they were still tender and flavorful. The twice-baked potato casserole was a good save - just as tasty as the original. I can't say I was crazy about the salad, but it was a good try. I give this meal 3 and a half out of 5 stars for taste and 3 stars for health.

No comments: