Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Cornish Game Hen

On Monday I bought two Cornish Game Hens from the freezer section at Publix. One went right to the freezer at home, and the other one went into the fridge to start defrosting. This afternoon I stuffed the hen with some jalepeno pickled garlic that we got in California, then sprayed the outside with olive oil. That went into the toaster oven to bake (I found my miniature baking pan today!), and I put some potatoes on the stove to cook for mashed potatoes. We also had a steamed veggie mix from the freezer.

The verdict
The hen was good, but the garlic didn't impart as strong of a taste as I thought it would. I really like the pickled garlic we got! I think once I use it all up, I'm going to try my hand at making some myself. Oh, and I took a picture of the whole table so you could see the progress my mom and I made today. There's no clutter on my table! That in itself made for a great meal. I give this meal 4 out of 5 stars for taste and 3 and a half stars for taste.


I also tried my hand at making the Peach Melba Muffins from my friend Dee's blog. I made a few minor changes, mainly using a variety of berries instead of just raspberries. I also didn't use peach yogurt like the recipe called for. I needed 8 oz. total of yogurt, and the cartons I buy are 6 oz., so I used one carton of strawberry and a little of raspberry. Why, you ask? Because that's what I had.

These muffins were great! I definitely plan on making these again. I think next time I'll try to find a way to cut back on the sugar. I would like to give props to my mom for coming over today and helping me get my kitchen (among other places) in order. It was much more enjoyable to cook in my kitchen today. Thanks, mom!

No comments: