Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Tonight for dinner I boiled some shrimp with Old Bay Seasoning, which was nothing new. It got interesting when I decided to make some brown rice. I've mentioned before that I make boring rice, so this time I branched out. I got some saffron from a friend who went to Thailand awhile back, and it wasn't until I became a Penzey's addict that I learned how expensive it is. I added some of that, along with some minced garlic and some saffRAN, which apparently is different. I know that because it's yellow, and saffRON is red. Beyond that, I have no idea. All I know is that my rice was NOT BORING! Yeah!! I also tried an Italian veggie mix from Bird's Eye, which surprised me by having red peppers (which was not on the bag). Then we had an excellent fruit salad made of watermelon, raspberries, blueberries, pineapple, apples, and bananas. I picked up the watermelon at a roadside stand, and it is gooooood. Even Howie the Guniea Pig is enjoying the rind. I love summer, because of all the great fruit we get in Florida!




Now for some catch-up: last night's dinner. I made one of Mike's favorites, Meat Loaf Wellington. I love that recipe because it looks so fancy, but using the crescent rolls makes it so easy. I got both of the side dishes from the aforementioned roadside stand; green beans and corn, fresh off the cob. The sign at the stand said "candy corn," which I just couldn't pass up. Both tasted extremely fresh, and the corn was indeed very sweet. For dessert, I made the Best Ever Blueberry Pie. It really is the best ever! I wasn't able to pick any blueberries this year because it's been so dry, so I was glad to find some at a good price at Publix this week. We enjoyed our pie in our bathing suits, floating in the pool. Summer has now officially begun for me!! Doesn't that picture just make you drool? I'm going to the fridge to have a piece! [logs off quickly]


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I make that same meatloaf recipe. It's sooo good.

The pie looks delicious.

Get ready ----starting July 1 I'm starting another 30 days of cooking challenge!