Friday, February 02, 2007

Rice and Bean Curry

Tonight I tried a concoction of my own. I've been influenced by the all the Indian food served by the Krishnas on campus! The summer before Mike and I got married, my roomate went to Thailand and brought me back some wonderful spices which I haven't used nearly enough, but I got my fill tonight. I started with 1/4 teaspoon each of curry and saffron, a pinch of safran (not sure how that differs from saffron!) a of milk and a tablespoon of flour. I let that sit while I warmed up some Great Northern Beans, made some white rice, and got the broccoli ready for steaming. Then I upped the curry by another quarter teaspoon and added a dash of chili powder, one dried chili pepper, and two more tablespoons of flour. When it was ready, I dished out my plate and told Mike (whose taste buds are stronger than mine) to add as much spice as he wanted to the rest of it.

The verdict
I discovered on the first bite that I did not remove all the piececs of dried chili pepper as I thought I had. I think that was the spiciest thing I have ever tasted! My taste buds were a little fried after that, but I still think I made a pretty good stab at curry. Mike said it wasn't spicy enough, but since I told him he could spice it up as much as he wanted, I can't take the blame for that. The last bit of flour I added really thickened it up fast, so next time I'll add a little less. This was a healthy, easy, cheap meal, which is always good in my book! I give this meal 3 and a half stars for taste and 5 stars for health.

No comments: