Sunday, January 28, 2007

White Cheddar-Chorizo Fondue


I haven't done much cooking this week, and I was eager to get in the kitchen and do something fancy. We had a fondue with chorizo sausage at a restaurant that we really liked, so when Mike found the sausage at Winn-Dixie, I decided to try my hand at it. First, I rubbed the inside of a pot with olive oil and a garlic half, then made a double-boiler with a larger pot to melt the white cheddar with a bit of milk and flour. Meanwhile, I browned the sausage after removing the casing and set it aside to add just before serving. Lastly, I toasted a Cuban Loaf from Publix in the oven at 200 degrees for 15 minutes and cut up some broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. The wine glasses you see are my own creation; I crushed some ice in the blender and whirred some Arbor Mist Zinfandel Sangria in to make sort of a wine slush. Is that a wine cooler?

The verdict
For a made-up recipe, I was very impressed with this dinner. It wasn't a fondue in the traditional sense of the word; we ended up scooping out some of the cheese mixture and schmearing it on the bread. When Mike found out that I only used half of the cheddar to make the dish, he proclaimed, "Well, we can have this again!" I guess he liked it. He likes pretty much anything involving sausage. I give this meal 4 and a half stars for taste and 1 star for health. I apologize again for the poor picture quality, the SOMEONE who lost the digital camers still hasn't replaced it.



p.s. I tried one of the crock-pot roasts I put together for the freezer a few days ago, and it turned out very well. I didn't put any liquid or seasonings in the bag, so I could do something a little different from the first roast. Mike actually put it in the crock-pot, because I had a cold during the middle of the week and wasn't feeling great. It was perfect for a night like that.

No comments: