Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I made this dinner last week, but I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to post it. We had Cornish Game Hen that I did in the Crock Pot, mashed potatoes, and a mixed vegetable medley from the freezer. The hen was sprayed with olive oil, then seasoned with a garlic pepper blend. I like to do Cornish Game Hens in the crock pot because it makes the meat fall-off-the-bone tender. Mike actually introduced me to the wonders of the "little chicken;" he decided he wanted one for our first Valentine's Day, and after a frantic phone call to my mom, I actually pulled it off! My grandmother was the one who suggested I try it in the crock pot.



I tried something new to go with the meat and potatoes - a gravy! I planned to mix a can of cream of mushroom soup with the drippings from the hen, but there weren't that many drippings. I de-glazed what I could with white wine, but Mike suggested I cook off the wine a little more before adding the soup.





Now onto tonight's dinner. I made barbecue beef sandwiches in the crock pot with a beef chuck roast. I decided to actually pull out my cookbook and look at the recipe, instead of the usual pull out whatever I think will be good. It turned out really tasty. We also had fresh corn cut off the cob, and a fruit salad of bananas, granny smith apples. strawberries, and locally grown blueberries. I could not control myself around the blueberries! They were so good! I didn't get to pick any blueberries myself this year because it was too dry to get a decent-sized crop. I was pretty sad about that, because I've gone berry picking every year since I was born. My mom lugged me along in a backpack for the first time when I was six weeks old!


No comments: