Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Crescent Calzones with Mozzarella and Chorizo

Tonight I was feeling creative, but didn't want to get very involved in making something complicated. Kind of a weird combination, I know. I decided to throw caution to the wind and try my hand at making calzones with whatever was in the fridge, which happend to be mozzarella cheese, some chorizo sausage, and a can of crescent rolls. I browned the sausage and flattened out the dough, dividing it in half and sealing all the seams. Once I drained the meat, I put it over the cheese, then sprinkled some of Penzey's Pasta Seasoning on top, then rolled the whole thing up like a pinwheel, pinching the ends so the filling wouldn't ooze out in the oven.





The calzones were baked at 350 degrees for about 2o minutes. Here they are ready to go in the oven:


And on the plate, with sauteed green beans and a fruit salad of strawberries, bananas, and plums. There were supposed to be peaches in the salad too, but they tasted like cardboard. I hate when that happens!! Darn you, Publix!


The verdict

These calzones were really good, and so easy! Not exactly health food, but it's a good meal to fall back on when I'm out of ideas. I would have preferred pepperoni, as chorizo is so strong, but they were still very satisfying. I give this meal 4 and a half stars for taste and 2 and a half stars for health. A tasty and creative use for crescent rolls!

No comments: