Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Giving a New Cake a Try

I had heard about this trick before, but had never tried it for some reason. Supposedly, it's an old Weight Watchers secret: you take a yellow cake mix and a can of pumpkin puree and mix the two together, then bake it according to package directions. Skip the eggs and oil and whatever other guilt-inducing ingredients are usually called for.



Here's the cake right after it was pulled out of the oven:





I whipped together a frosting out of reduced-fat cream cheese, powdered sugar, and a little milk.


I was anxious to try this out, and I must say I was very happy with the results. The cake was really good! The only thing was, the icing needed some work. In fact, I could have done without the icing completely! Which is weird for me, because I'm usually a big icing person. I think next time I do this, I'll make muffins out of these and leave the icing off. I have a recipe that calls for mixing a yellow cake mix with a can of pie filling, which isn't a far stretch. The best thing about this was it was really good, and not very guilt-inducing. Always a good thing! Try it!

No comments: