Sunday, March 18, 2007

Hot N' Spicy Steak Chili


In a flash of brilliance, I came up with a use for the leftover London Broil that was sitting in the fridge. I chopped up the meat, getting about 3/4 of a cup, then threw that in the Crock Pot with a can of pink beans and stewed tomatoes. I wanted it to really taste like chili (because I usually make taco soup and I wanted there to be a difference), so I laid on the chili powder and cayenne, perhaps a little too much. Hence the name. Mike volunteered to make grilled cheese sandwiches to go with the chili, and I totally forgot to make a vegetable until the last minute, so we had some baby carrots and celery.

The verdict
The chili certainly was hot n' spicy! I had to put some sour cream into my bowl to cool it down, but Mike thought it was perfect. Sophie also seemed to approve, and licked our bowls clean (sorry if that grosses you out - I wash them afterwards!!) I think next time I'll leave out some of the spices and let Mike add them afterwards to his liking. I give this meal 3 stars for taste and health. Yaaaaay for trying something new! There's nothing quite so satisfying as finding a new use for leftovers.

No comments: