Monday, April 09, 2007

Ham Buns on Whole Wheat


I got a humongous ham on sale last week (yay for Easter sales!) which really excites Mike. He loooooooooooooves ham and has requested all his favorite dishes, the first being ham buns, an old standy from my mom. Mom and I have been on a mission to make this recipe more healthy since she started making it years ago, because everyone in the family really likes it. First, mom cut the amount of butter from 1/2 c to 1/4 cup with no noticeable effects, then today at the grocery store I hunted around for some whole wheat buns that looked appetizing and wound up with hoagie rolls. On the side we had a green salad with Kraft Free Caesar Italian Dressing (highly recommended), and after I took the picture I got some feta cheese for my salad, because feta really excites me. Cheese in general does that to me.

The verdict
Mike was a happy camper because he got one of his favorite meals! The wheat rolls weren't white, of course, but at least they made the meal a little less guilty, so I was willing to make the trade. And really it's the filling, not the bread, that shines on this sandwich. I give this meal 4 out of 5 stars for taste and 3 stars for health.

No comments: