Friday, September 22, 2006

T-Bone Steak...with asparagus!

Mike got an incredible deal on some meat in Ocala, so on Wednesday we went ahead and grilled some of the steaks before we froze them. We sprinkled Montreal Steak seasoning on them a few hours beforehand, then Mike threw them on the grill, along with....long pause...asparagus! That thud you heard was my mother fainting in Clermont. I used to complain quite loudly whenever she fixed asparagus, but I was at the local supermarket and they looked so fresh and I've been wanting to expand our vegetable consumption - and they were cheap - so I threw caution to the wind and bought some! Mike used a vegetable peeler to skin the bottom half of each stalk (a Food Network-recommended method), then grilled them with olive oil and salt. We also had baked potatoes.

The verdict

Hold the phone...I liked the asparagus! I think peeling them helped, and Mike was also careful not to overcook them. I don't think this is something I'll add to the regular rotation, but I do plan on serving them this way again. The steak was also very good. I give this meal 4 stars for taste and 3 stars for health. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to call my mom and make sure she's recovered from her fainting spell.

No comments: