Friday, January 05, 2007

Grilled Amberjack


Tonight after watching my boys, I picked up some Amberjack at Northwest Seafood. It was my first time in the store, and while everything looked awesome, the prices were high, so I chose what was on sale, even though I'd never heard of it. I needed some guidance on how to prepare this fish, so I turned to the Internet and found this recipe for Ginger-Honey Amberjack. I also found this great site, where I learned about removing the bloodline and soaking the fillet in milk prior to cooking to tone down the fishy taste. We also had brown rice and a salad of mixed greens, spinach, carrots, and some corn leftover from taco night. To drink, I made a daquiri from frozen strawberries, a kiwi, Sprite, and Captain Morgan's Parrot Bay Passionfruit Rum.

The verdict
The Amberjack reminded me of mahi mahi, but I'm glad I tried the milk soak. I was a little concerned because when Mike was cooking it on the George Foreman grill, the smell reminded me of canned cat food. Luckily, it didn't taste that way. The glaze was flavorful, and coupled with a Meyer lemon wedge, the taste was very good. I give this meal 3 and a half stars for taste and 4 and a half stars for health.

No comments: