Friday, January 12, 2007

The Stew That Almost Wasn't

This morning I put a beef roast in the crockpot, and when I got home this evening, I was greeted by the mouth-watering smell. Unfortunately, although I added liquid when I put the meat in, it had all completely evaporated, leaving the beef on top looking more like jerky. Mike sampled it and said it still tasted good, so I added some broth and was going to let it sit for a few minutes while I got the biscuits and broccoli ready. I figured I would just turn it into a beef stew. What Mike DIDN'T say was that he thought turning up the crock pot to high was a good idea, so when I checked the pot again, it had turned into a Thew - a really thick stew! But we were really hungry, so we tried it anyway.

The verdict
Well, this was interesting, if anything. When it was a roast, I didn't add very many spices, but when I decided it was going to be a stew, I tried to give it more kick. Since the water evaporated out again, it was very strong, a little too much so for my tastes. It seemed just right for Mike, though; he put a bisquit in the bottom of his bowl and ladeled some stew over it. You win some, you lose some, I guess! I give this meal 2 out of 5 stars for taste and 3 stars for health.

No comments: