Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Mediterranean Focaccia

My new favorite website is the King Arthur Flour home page. I spent way too much time going through their recipes and pulled out several, including this one. It caught my eye because the dough can be frozen, and I've been trying to build up my stock of meals in the freezer.

The recipe tells you to mix the ingredients together until you have a "shaggy mass," but I wasn't sure exactly what a shaggy mass is. So, after I did the mixing, I took a picture so I can remember exactly what a shaggy mass looks like:



After the rising, ready to be rolled out:

I decided to make two small focacce so we would have leftovers, so we had to do them in shifts. Mike grilled the first one until it was slightly crispy, then brought it inside for me to top while he put on the second one. I decided to make them like a pizza - with Newman's Own Vodka Sauce applied sparingly and an Italian Blend of cheese. Then I put on thinly sliced garlic and pepperoni strips. After topping, they went back on the Egg until melty and cheesy! Mmmmm...

The focaccia was healthier than pizza because the crust is much thinner. I think next time I'll try to find ways to make it more flavorful - maybe brush it with garlic butter before topping it? At least around the edges? Also, the garlic slices were not as soft as I would have liked. Next time, I'll roast it! Mike must have liked it, because those leftovers I was hoping for? Not so much. There are two more balls of dough in the freezer for another time. We'll see how they turn out!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Hi!

I am an online friend of your moms! I *love chatting food so I love your blog! I just wanted to share that we do this for pizza too. A favorite way to jazz it up here is a bit of barbecue sauce, cheese and topped with a bit of grilled chicken and sprinkled with Cilantro! Yum!