Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Day Dinner!

I decided to make fondue for our Valentine's Day dinner in favor of going out somewhere, since a) any restaurant would be way overcrowded; and b) there are no good restaurants in this town! I decided to do it ALL myself, even make the french bread for dipping!

For the bread, I decided to try the dough hooks on my Kitchen Aid mixer for the first time, and I really liked it! It's a happy medium between doing it by hand and letting my bread machine do it. I may never use my bread machine again!


After kneading, before the rises (there were a total of three!)

Ready to be rolled out!




Right before visiting the oven.


The beautiful final product!!
We really enjoyed our cheese fondue, with the bread in cubes and pieces of carrot and celery (hey, we had to have vegetables somewhere!) Mike said, "I'm not trying to flatter you or anything, but this very well may be the best French bread I've ever had." High praise from Mr. Picky himself!





On to dessert: chocolate fondue, with strawberries, pineapple, banana, and angelfood cake. I used Hershey's Dark Chocolate chips instead of bittersweet chocolate like the recipe calls for, and it was soooo good!





This is Mike's version of eating fondue: with a spatula, to slop on even more chocolate! Coming from the guy who won't even use the trainer chopsticks at a Japanese Steakhouse, I shouldn't be surprised!

No comments: