Friday, October 13, 2006

Baked Perch



Wednesday night we had perch that I picked up fresh from Publix. It was at a good price, and I had never had perch before, so I thought we'd give it a try. I've been meaning to try my Trinidad Garlic Marinade Mix from Penzey's spices, and this was the perfect excuse. I've never marinated fish before, so I was making it up as I went along, but I drizzled the fish with olive oil, then sprinkled it with the marinade before putting it in the fridge for 20 minutes. It was then that I discovered that we were completely out of vegetables, except for a tiny bit of frozen green beans. Gah! So I decided to cook those and split an apple between us, with cinnamon sprinkled on top. To go with that we had brown rice.

The verdict
The guy at Publix told me that perch is a "fishy" fish, and boy was he right! It was so strong that Sophie had to help me finish it, which she didn't mind at all! I didn't like it as well as salmon or tuna because it didn't have a very firm texture. I was afraid to marinate the fish for too long, but I think it could have gone for a little longer. Well, it was fish, and fish is good for you, so I'm happy. Anywho, I give this meal 2 and a half stars for taste and 4 and a half stars for health.

No comments: