Tuesday, October 17, 2006





Tonight we had our friend Hugh over for dinner, so I made a recipe I've been looking for an excuse to try, Gruyere Cheese Bisque. I won't tell you how bad it is, but if you really want to know, you can look at the recipe. When I browned the chicken for the soup, I deglazed the pan with white wine and then added all that goodness to the soup base. I also made a loaf of French bread, and some broccoli on the side.

The verdict
Every time Hugh comes over, I try a new recipe, and every time, it turns out great. He should come over more often! This soup was wonderful! Gruyere cheese is my new love, I kept sneaking bits of it as I was putting it in the saucepan to melt. Since it's a fairly hard cheese, it took longer than I expected to melt, but it was worth the wait. The light bread made paired wonderfully with the heavy soup. The trick to making a crusty loaf of bread is to put a pan of water in the bottom rack of the oven - the steam gives it that yummy texture. I give this meal 5 stars for taste and 1 star for health. I think we all need a meal like this once in awhile - bad for you, but soooo good! Plus today is my half birthday, so that's reason to celebrate...right?!?

No comments: