Thursday, August 17, 2006

Montecalvo’s Italian Cuisine Kennesaw, GA - Monday

After visiting the Civil War and Locomotion Museum in Kennesaw, we set out looking for some “down-home” cooking. Somehow we ended up at an Italian Restaurant – go figure. We started out with some Italian Bread that came with both Olive Oil with dipping spices and garlic butter. Then we split a Caesar Salad with parmesan cheese, homemade croutons, and a house dressing. For the main course I had a small portion of Ravioli stuffed with Ricotta, Parmesan, and Mozzarella cheeses with a homemade meat sauce. Mike had a thin-crust pizza with Italian sausage. For dessert we split a Black Forest Cheesecake with a chocolate crust and a strawberry swirl throughout.

The verdict
What really impressed me about this restaurant was the freshness. Little details, like the quality of the cheese or the olive oil really made the meal. The pasta was excellent – there’s no substitute for a homemade tomato sauce! The pizza was good as well; the crust was thin but not like eating a cracker. One of my favorite things was the dipping oil for the bread – I was glad it ran out, because I was ruining my dinner! The only thing that failed to impress me greatly was the cheesecake. Don’t get me wrong, it was good, but it wasn’t blow-your-mind-good. In all fairness, however, it had a lot to live up to. I had been looking forward to dessert since after lunch, when we had to walk all the way back to the Georgia aquarium to claim Mike’s pocketknife, which he left at the checkpoint. He said he would buy me dessert to make it up to me! Overall, I would definitely go back.

No comments: