Saturday, August 26, 2006

Yogurt-Marinated Chicken Skewers

I was trying to think of something creative to do for dinner, and I remembered an interesting article on marinades I read a few days ago from the flylady.com newsletter, Saving Dinner (scroll all the way down). According to this article, you need an acid, some spices, and some oil to make a good marinade, so...yogurt is acid, right?!? I asked Mike, "Have you ever made a marinade out of yogurt?" and he said, "...a marinade? Out of YOGURT?!" So needless to say, he was a little skeptical. I looked on the internet for an idea of what I needed to do, and ended up covering chicken breasts with lemon juice for half and hour to macerate, then covering it with a mixture of plain yogurt, chili powder, and tumeric. Then, I cut up the chicken and put it on skewers, and Mike grilled them for 3 minutes on each side. On the side we have broccoli from the freezer and roasted potatoes.

The verdict
After his first bite, Mike's skepticism was gone! This was an excellent experiment, and I plan on repeating this. It would be great for entertaining. The yogurt made the chicken very tender, and I think the tumeric was important for imparting a nice flavor to it. I give this meal 5 stars for taste and health! I love five-star meals!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You made tandoori ...Since you liked that flavor combo, try some Indian recipes for chicken tandoori. Some are grilled and some you do in a covered baker in the oven.