Sunday, July 23, 2006

Cornish Game Hen

Tonight I decided to make Cornish Game Hen, mostly because we bought a six-pack of these things at Sam's Club a while back and they take up a lot of room in the freezer. I seasoned it with the Lemon Pepper Seasoning from Penzey's Spices (are we seeing a pattern here?) and kosher salt. I also made mashed potatoes and fresh broccoli, and we finished the meal with fresh fruit topped with whipped cream and the rest of the butter cake we had for the chocolate fondue a couple of nights ago.

The verdict

The Lemon Pepper Seasoning on the hen was awesome! You could still taste the lemon zest, thanks to the salt to bring out the flavor. It imparted flavor not only to the skin, but to the meat as well. I cooked the potatoes in the oven instead of on the stove and then mashed them, and I think they taste much better that way. I can't help but laugh whenever I make Cornish Game Hen because I never even knew what they were until I started dating Mike. On our first Valentine's Day together, I told him I would make whatever he wanted, and he said thoughtfully, "I think I'd like a Cornish Game Hen." I said, "Sure, sweetie" and promptly called my mom and said, "MOM, WHAT THE HECK IS A CORNISH GAME HEN!?!" I had never even made a whole chicken before, and here Mike is wanting me to cook a miniature one! But it turned out well, as did this meal. I give this meal 4 stars for taste and health.

No comments: